Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Marta Moran Bishop Dinky: The Nurse Mare’s Foal #horses #nursemarefoals #animal @moranbishop



FEATURED AUTHORS: MARTA MORAN BISHOP




The book was originally released by Crowe Press on 13th January 2013 (216 pages). Narrated by Bridget Thomas, the audiobook was released on 28th February 2019 (4 hours 10 minutes).

Marta Moran Bishop's author bio, a post that gives the background of the real-life Dinky, and an excerpt from the book. There is an extra bonus of photos taken of Dinky throughout his life.


HIGHLIGHTS—DINKY: THE NURSE MARE'S FOAL




 




Narrated by Tom Sleeker 




Award Winner at the Equus Film Festival. Best Equine Rescue book.

It is suitable for all ages.


Amazon UK     Amazon AU     Audible













AUTHOR BIO: MARTA MORAN BISHOP




 



Her newest novel Whispers on the Wind is a time-travel romance with a brutal war with Atlantis as its backdrop. It takes us on an adventure to the mythical civilization of Lemuria during the last days of the civilization.

     Twitter      My husband and I first met Dinky at the Bolton Fair. He was tiny, skinny, and very crabby. The day was so hot, and Dinky and Lucky were standing for hours in the sun. It was the first time either of us had ever heard of nurse mare foals, and we were horrified that it was an actual thing. After adopting him, we worked with him, loved him, and tried to help him learn how to be a horse.

His book won an award at the EQUUS Film Festival in 2015 and has been read all over the world.

The elite of the horse world are the high-dollar mares. They are show animals or racing animals, bringing high dollars for their foals because they have a history of excellence and winning. For them, time is money and it's important that the mare be kept busy birthing instead of spending weeks nursing her offspring. That job is given to a nurse mare.

The horse industry benefits from this barbaric practice because the high-dollar mare gets back in shape more quickly, so she can show well and invite more offers for her offspring. While some stables allow the mare three to four weeks to recuperate after giving birth, many are sent to the stallion for rebreeding within seven to ten days of giving birth.

This book is the story of one nurse mare's foal and its fight for survival.

“Please, let me keep this one. He is really exceptional, and I believe he will be my last baby,” Mother said as she ran at them screaming.

She was whimpering a desperate goodbye and gazing at me with love and grief, “I tried, son. Remember I will be with you always.”

“Joe, grab his back end.” One of the men said as they picked me up and tossed me into the back of the trailer. Before the door closed, scared and alone, I watched Mother get slowly to her feet, crestfallen, and head hanging low. As the men slammed the door and locked me into the box, I screamed, “Mama.”

My misery and my deep need to belong and feel loved were so strong, the solitude of my mind wandered back to the same questions. What would happen to me? Who would teach me? Would I get a chance to live as she promised? “Remember her words,” I told myself.

https://www.linneatanner.com/2023/08/08/marta-moran-bishop-dinky-the-nurse-mares-foal-horses-nursemarefoals-animal-moranbishop/

No comments:

Post a Comment